Stuffed Cabbage - Töltött Káposzta
Stuffed cabbage or 'Töltött Káposzta' is a traditional Hungarian dish of sauerkraut and parcels of cabbage leaves cooked with a meat and rice filling. This filling comfort food is especially popular with the approach of cold weather and is typically served on Boxing Day at Christmas by families around the country. And it gets better with time as the flavours come together, so leftovers will taste even better.
- 500g mince pork
100g white rice
- 8 sour cabbage leaves
- 150g chorizo, sliced
- 2 brown onions
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 3 bay leaves
1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground caraway seed
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
0.5 tsp hot paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- crème fraiche to serve
- Parboil the rice and set aside to cool.
- Rinse the sauerkraut once in cold water. Finely slice the brown onions, then separate them into two halves. Chop the chorizo into 0.5cm slices.
- In a bowl, thoroughly combine the minced pork with the parboiled rice, an egg, half of the chopped onions, one clove of crushed garlic, salt and the ground herbs and spices.
- Lay out cabbage leaves. Form xxx from the meat filling, then place inside the leaves and roll up.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then add the second half of the onions and the rest of the crushed garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes until the onion turns translucent, then remove from the heat.
- Add half of the sauerkraut to the saucepan, then carefully place the stuffed cabbage leaves on top, together with the chorizo slices. Then place the remainder of the sauerkraut on top, add the bay leaves and about two cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, then cook low and slow until the meat filling is cooked through, which will be about an hour. Do not stir to avoid breaking the cabbage parcels apart, but occasionally gently shake the saucepan from side to side instead.
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche.
Explore our range of versatile ingredients & bring a mouth-watering twist to your dishes.