Chicken Paprikash with Noodles
Chicken Paprikash or Paprikás Csirke is a creamy Hungarian stew, and this popular weekend staple combines simple ingredients into a comfort food paradise.
Chicken Paprikash is traditionally served with noodles (nokedli), but if you are short on time then tarhonya will do the trick too.
Wine pairing: For a light and easy-drinking choice, pair it with Tokajicum Winery's Tokaji Furmint "Vizsla". The inviting fruitiness and refreshing minerality go very well with the creamy, indulgent stew.
- 8 chicken thigh fillets, cut into larger pieces
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 finely chopped brown onion
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 beef tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp sour cream or crème fraiche
- 250g flour
- 4 large eggs
1 tbsp lard
- 2 tsp salt
For the Chicken Paprikash
For the noodles
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, then add the onions and sauté over low heat until translucent.
Add the chicken fillets and lightly brown on both sides.
- Add the pepper, tomatoes, the finely chopped or crushed garlic, paprika and the water, then season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover the skillet and cook slow and low for around 30 minutes, until the chicken is evenly tender.
- Add 1 tsp salt and the oil to a large saucepan of water and bring to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and 1 tsp salt. Then stir in the eggs and slowly add water, mixing constantly, until you have an even, pourable dough.
- Lay a noodle grater or a colander over the pot of boiling water, then place a portion of the dough in it and move the dough back and forth until you have used up the initial portion of dough.
Stir the noodles so they don't stick, and then after a minute of rising to the surface, collect the noodles using a slotted spoon and place into a non-stick pan with lard at the bottom, stirring so the noodles are lightly coated.
Repeat until you are finished with all of the though.
Serve the chicken paprikash on a bed of noodles, then garnish with a teaspoon of sour cream.
Explore our range of versatile ingredients & bring a mouth-watering twist to your dishes.