Paprikás Krumpli - Hungarian Paprika Potatoes
While Hungarian cuisine is typically meat focused, there are some family favourites which skimp on flesh, but not on taste. Paprikás Krumpli is a simple and delicious one-pot delight made with aromatic Hungarian paprika, creating a flavourful and filling vegetarian meal. And since the longer you let it stand the more the flavours come together, you will enjoy any leftovers even more!
- Finely chop the onions and peel and dice the potatoes into 2-3 cm pieces.
- In a medium sized stockpot or casserole pan, fry the onions until golden brown, then remove from the heat.
- Mix in the paprika with the onions and then add the raw potatoes. Stir well and add water to almost cover it.
Add salt, crushed garlic, the finely chopped green pepper and the sliced tomato.
- Cover with a lid and stew gently, shaking occasionally, until tender. Try to avoid stirring, especially in the latter stages of cooking.
- Serve accompanied by pickled gherkins and some fresh crusty bread. You can also add some crème fraiche for a creamier and lighter taste.