Vadas - Hungarian Hunter's Stew
2 hours 5 minutes
Vadas is a traditional Hungarian Hunter's Stew made with game meat or beef. You can serve this versatile main course with bread dumplings, pasta or rice.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan, add the beef and brown evenly, then remove from the saucepan and set aside.
- Add the carrots, parsnip and celeriac to the saucepan and fry for 8-10 minutes, then add the mustard and cook for another minute.
- Caramelise the sugar in a small saucepan, then add enough water so that it dissolves.
Add the halved onion, bay leaves, lemon peel and zest and the caramelised sugar to the vegetables, then place the meat back on top.
Add the stock until the vegetables are covered and cook on medium heat until the meat becomes tender.
- Place the beef on a plate, remove and discard the bay leaves, and then process the sauce using a handheld blender. You can blitz it until perfectly smooth or leave it a bit chunkier, it is up to personal preference. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, sugar, mustard or lemon juice if necessary.
- Serve the meat with plenty of sauce on a bed of rice or alongside traditional bread dumplings.
Explore our range of versatile ingredients & bring a mouth-watering twist to your dishes.