Tokaji Pork Ham Hock
The slow-cooked golden ham hock is crunchy on the outside but soft and tender on the inside, while the caramelised onion in Tokaji Aszu sauce bring a mouth-watering complexity and depth of flavour that makes this dish the perfect showstopping centerpiece at any party.
Wine pairing: For a simple and natural pairing, serve it with a glass of Tokajicum Winery's Tokaji Aszú 5 Puttonyos 2017 which went into the recipe. The floral, honeyed notes of the wine will perfectly complement the dish.
- Season the ham hock with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Place the ham hock on a baking tray, add half a cup of water and cover with foil. Bake at 200°C for 50 minutes, then remove the foil and bake until golden brown on the outside.
- In a non-stick saucepan caramelise the hone. Then add the sliced onions and crushed garlic and slowly brown them.
- Add the Aszu to the onions and cook together until the majority of the wine has evaporated, leaving you with the caramelised onions in a thick sauce.
- Serve with baked new potatoes and a glass of Tokaji on the side